We are your Release Train Engineer and SAFe Program Consultant
Release Train Engineer vs. SAFe Program Consultant
The Release Train Engineer (RTE) is a coach and servant leader for the Agile Release Train (ART). Their main responsibilities include supporting the ART events and processes. The RTE guides and supports teams to deliver value together in the ART. Likewise, the RTE communicates with stakeholders and assists with impediments and risk management.
The SAFe Program Consultant (SPC) plays a critical role in the successful implementation of SAFe - the Scaled Agile Framework. With their SAFe knowledge and experience, the SPC helps implement change processes within the company and acts as a change agent.
While the Release Train Engineer acts within the SAFe framework and has a fixed role, the SAFe Program Consultant helps the company to implement the agile change process.
When is a Release Train Engineer or a SAFe Program Consultant useful?
An Agile Release Train (ART) typically consists of 50 to 125 people. SAFe recommends one Release Train Engineer for each ART. In order to successfully implement and further advance the implementation of SAFe in the company, at least one SAFe Program Consultant is recommended for every 25 people. Assuming that there are at least 50 people within an ART, we therefore recommend at least two SPCs.
Release Train Engineer (RTE) Responsibilities
SAFe Release Train Engineer responsibilities at a glance:
- Solving impediments
- Manage risks
- Coaching of executives, teams and Scrum Masters in the new way of working
- Standardize and document practices
- Manage and optimize the ART value streams using tools
- Support for Program Increment (PI) planning
- Enable system and solution demos
- Combining the Team PI Objectives into Program PI Objectives
- Moderating “Sync” and “Inspect and Adapt” events
Safe Program Consultant (SPC) Responsibilities
SAFe Program Consultant responsibilities at a glance:
- Training and coaching of executives, managers and leaders as well as all roles within SAFe (except RTE and SPC) and entire teams
- Help establish the Lean-Agile Center of Excellence (LACE)
- Identifying value streams and ARTs
- Support in the preparation and implementation of the first ART
- Expand the portfolio
- Launch additional ARTs
- Optimization of the SAFe configuration used
- Applying SAFe principles at the portfolio level once Lean-Agile principles are embedded
Using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
Are you faced with the challenge of identifying your first value stream, getting your Agile Release Train "up and running" or optimizing your existing SAFe configuration? Take advantage of our SAFe experts' experience. Use our many years of expertise with agile ways of working from a wide variety of corporate contexts to make your organization more agile.
Feel free to get in touch with us – we look forward to your challenge!Get in touch!